No one has ever asked me to officiate at a wedding.
I’m not surprised.
I could, I think.
I have a card somewhere that identifies me as a
Minister of the Church of the Eternal Now, or some such bullshit. A friend sent
away for it years ago because I was teaching classes on Meditation and he
thought it would be amusing.
I was amused.
I don’t think it has an expiration date. But even
if it does, a new one could not be that hard to obtain.
In any case, there are enough loopholes out there I
COULD officiate at a wedding if anyone asked. And if they asked, here is what I
would say:
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to
celebrate the love of (insert names of doe eyed innocents here). They stand
before us today because they have decided that they adore each other and have,
subsequently, made up reasons why.
Been there, done that.
Much of the Sacred
Tone given to the Wedding Event is due to the fact that we all agree to
shun reality for a moment and pretend, in the face of overwhelming evidence to
the contrary, that this decision to unite will last………forever. The odds are
heavily against it.
National divorce rates are usually reported to be
in the 50% range. And that’s just for first marriages. In fairness, there is a
great deal of controversy regarding this percentage due to a number of
mitigating factors and the surprising lack of specific data. But let’s bring it
home. How many of you here today have
been divorced or know someone who has??
I rest my case.
And yet, here we are, pretending that this one
will last forever. And therefore it is a sacred, serious, meaningful, awesome
experience.
And you know what?
It is!
But that has nothing to do with how long it will
last.
I think the two people in front of me would agree
that at this very moment, and this one, and this one, they love each other
sincerely, deeply, and passionately. I’m
sure you will agree, that warrants a celebration! Because how many of us can say that’s how we
feel about anything or anyone? And frankly, if there is someone or something in
your life about which you DO feel that way, you damn well ought to be
celebrating it as well!
But honestly, what does that have to do with
tomorrow?
Or the next day?
Who the hell knows what will happen in the future?
I’ll tell you.
No one.
Listen to me, No One!!
Planes fly into buildings. People change. Lighting
strikes where it has never stuck before. Whatever. Depending on the future is the ultimate
exercise in futility.
But Now………We can all live right Now!
And right Now, these two people want to spend
their lives together. They love each other. They adore each other. They like
being together. It makes them happy. It makes them better people. And every day, from now on, they get to decide
if they still feel that way. And if they do, they should damn well celebrate it
that day as well.
And if one day, they decide otherwise, then that
takes nothing away from right Now!
Because as god is my witness, I swear this to you:
Just
because a relationship doesn’t last forever
Does not
mean it was not a success.
I’ve heard it said that a good marriage is a race
between total knowledge of each other and death. If death wins, it was a good
marriage. Perhaps…..
As I have grown older, I have come to realize it
is impossible to know everything about anyone (including ourselves). At least those worth knowing. Because not only are they too complex to ever
know, they also have the added “plus” of constantly changing. And that can be very exciting. And yes, even occasionally fatal to a
relationship.
That two complex, interesting, emotional people
will change along lovingly intertwined paths over years and decades is far from
guaranteed. Of course it happens. But not always.
But what is the alternative?
Bond with someone who will say the same things, do
the same things, eat the same things, make love the same way, feel the same
things, go the same places, tell the same jokes, watch the same TV shows, vote
the same way, greet you the same way, kiss you the same way, like the same
people, work the same job, and brush their teeth the same way, forever and ever
and ever and ever and ever?
That’s one approach. And it works for some people.
Now don’t get me wrong. This marriage before you
may well last forever. The marriage you are in at this very moment may well
last forever too. But our Joy and our Celebration is not predicated on that.
Rather than banking on the future,
Let us all celebrate bonding forever……..right Now.
Let us all celebrate our eternal love……..right Now.
Doesn’t that take some of the pressure off? Doesn’t that allow a little room for error?
Doesn’t that make Now….and Now…….and Now a great time to celebrate?
Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to
celebrate the love of (insert names of newly enlightened Beings here) right
Now!
Is this the Bruce Langford that use to teach at CBC? Sure sounds like him. This is Jim Rose. You can reach me at chjimrose@gmail.com. If you have a minute, I would enjoy catching up. jim
ReplyDelete